Saturday, January 9, 2010

Acrylic nails?

hello


i have a bad habit of biting my nails. so i was thinking about getting acrylic nails, not long ones. what are the risks about getting them? what about maintenence? because i have heard some bad things about fungus and such, and i was wondering if someone had opinions about this or alternatives?





thanksAcrylic nails?
i had acrylic nails twice-- once for prom and once for fun. Both times i absolutely hated it! i used to bite my nails like crazy, so i also thought this might help. but... it didnt. instead of biting, i picked at the nails constantly. (my other bad habit is picking scabs). anyway, they tear up your real fingernail and make them quite thin, so when your acrylic nails come off (in a few weeks) your nails look really crappy and they're really sore and irritated. at least mine were. it's sort of one of those things you have to keep maintence with. plus, theyre so freaking expensive.





oh, but as for my nail-biting habit! I decided to start filing my nails everyday and painting them pretty nude shades. then i got a pretty ring to wear. somehow, this helped me break my habit and made me really proud of my pretty natural nails.





biting your nails isnt such a bad habit though. picking scabs is much worse, as im still battling that one.Acrylic nails?
theres always a chance of geting fungus but im soooo glad iv never had it and iv had acrylic nails off and on for about 7 years. you have to go back every 2 weeks for a fill and its around 12 for fill and extra for white tip or designs. but your better off useing this liquid thing they sell at a drug store that you apply like nail polish and it taste so bad that you will NOT want to do that anymore
I have had acrylics for like ever and they are not dangerous. They do tend to cost money but it is totally worth it because they look really nice. The catch is that they can ruin your real nails and cause your real nails to grow slower.
when you take off acrylic nails off your nails become weaker. maintenence wise you would need a refill about every 2 weeks. just be sure to wash under your nails with a brush and antibacterial soap daily
I had the acrylic nails years ago for a couple of years. You have to go every two weeks to get them filled in and that's an expense. They are pretty darn hard to chew tho! I know, because I used to be a biter too. (I broke that habit by switching to sunflower seeds in the shell to keep hands and mouth busy). Also, when I felt my nails had grown sufficiently under the acrylics I had them removed. My natural nails were like grape skins, and it took me over a year to grow them healthy again. Maybe this wouldn't happen if I hadn't had them on a couple of years, I really don't know. So, my advice is either try them for a couple of months and then remove them so you don't get that problem, or just go and get a professional manicure every couple of weeks and that makes your nails look nice and they stay healthy. I also noticed if I went without polish I would start nibbling again. I think when they look nice, it makes you back off on biting. Another product I swear by is ';Sally Hanson's hard as nails';. I believe it gives your nails a chance to grow because it protects them very well. Good luck with your nails and I hope I've been of some help!
you will have to get them filled-in about every two weeks.


The one thing about acrylic nails I don't like is they file the top of your real nail so the adhesive would allow the acrylic nail to stick., then, whenever you decide to let them grow naturally you will have dents in the nail until they grow out.


Fungus is something to be concerned about however, if you go to a reputable nail salon you should be OK.


I think the solar/gel type nails last longer, they cost a little more but are worth it. They seem to me to be more natural looking.
Shelley is right, Gel is more durable than Acrylic, and looks more ';natural'; when you get a french manicure. Either way, once you get your full set, you will need to go every 2-3 weeks to have them ';filled';. Fungus is a possibility so make sure the place you go to is clean - ask around and see where your friends go, how long have they gone there, etc. An alternative would be to go for regular manicures every couple of weeks...some people say that helps to keep your nails strong, plus if they look nice because you have polish on them, you might be less likely to bite them :) Good luck.
well actually i do the same as you.. and as a matter of fat..i have some on right now!! but no, i dont get any weird funguses at all.. n the only thing you really have to do is keep them away from fire, wash your hands when you get done eating tht way you dnt get food build up underneath your nails and if you do i use a tooth pick to get out any of the food thts underneath the nails.. oh yeah, and when you get them, wait for them to wear off or brake off..bcz if not then when you try n rip them off you rip off some of your nail.. =)
I get my nails done all the time


BUT


DON'T GET ACRYLIC!


Get GEL they are durable and they last longer they cost a bit more but your less likely to get a fungus with them as well!
  • lips
  • beauty eye
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment