Saturday, January 9, 2010

How do you care for new acrylic nails?

I just got new acrylic nails, and need some tips on caring for them.


I've heard about oiling nails twice a day - what is this, and where can i buy the oil?


What is lift?


How often do I have to return to the salon for maintanence? How do I know when to return?


Can I change the polish at home? Can I use normal nail polish remover?


And how do I prevent the fungus/mildew from growing under my nails?


Thanks :DHow do you care for new acrylic nails?
Hey - I've had acrylics, gels and silks...so maybe I can help.





The oil is more for cuticle health than artificial nail maintanence. If your cuticles look healthy (not ragged) then it will enhance the overall nail look. I use Nailtiques Oil Therapy. It's about $6, and you can get it at nail places and sometimes drug stores (I got mine at CVS). I use it once a day...and my boyfriend makes fun of me (';can't you just use your regular lotion??'; men don't get it! haha). Plus it smells yummy.





';Lifting'; can happen when the nails are long and you use your hands too much - it hurts like hell sometimes. Just be really cognizant of everything you do - everything from carrying heavy bags to closing your trunk (trust me, I have painful experience). The nails might break off, which is sometimes a blessing in disguise b/c you don't want to have your natural nail ripped off. I sometimes use a little tiny dap of super glue to stick on the broken nail. Then use a buffer to smooth it out and put on a coat of clear. Keeping the nails shorter will help greatly to reduce any painful lifting.





You should go back every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks for a fill. Depends on how fast your nails grow out - but you'll notice the space and want to have it taken care of!





You can change the color at home if you want, but make sure to use NON ACETONE remover. Acetone based removers will take off polish - but can also take off the nail. Granted, the acetone in polish remover you get at the drug store is less concentrated than the stuff they use in salons to remove nails, but it can compromise the nail's quality. Most non-acetone removers will say something about being ';suitable for acrylic nails.';





Infections can be a problem for some people. Sometimes the natural nail will become weakened from having the fake nails on, then the fake nail starts to separate away from the natural nail. Water then gets trapped in that space, and it's bad. That is why it's important to get them filled regularly. Make sure you go to a clean place b/c you don't want them touching you with dirty stuff, but chances are a nicer place will be able to recognize a problem should one arise and advise you on what to do.





I know that's a lot, but don't be intimidated. As long as you keep an eye on them, and don't over use your nails, they will look sexy as heck! I love having nice nails - but try keeping them a little on the shorter side b/c it will make things like typing easier and they'll be less prone to break!How do you care for new acrylic nails?
When your nails underneath start to grown out, about 2-4 weeks after getting them done is when i go get them filled, I wouldnt recomend doin the polich at home, they look better just the way they are ad if you do repaint them at home use non-acetone nail polish remover, the acetone will eat the nails away, Make sure you dont get anything stuck underneath of them wash your hands when needed and you shouldnt have a problem...
I have never heard of oiling the nails. And lift?? Don't know that one either. I go to the salon about every 2-3 weeks. You will know when you have to return. You can change the polish at home but use a non acetone remover. You can even take your own nail polish with you to the salon. You don't have to use there polish. I use a nail brush every night on my nails. And just scrub them with soap and water. You can get the brush at walmart by the cleaning supplys ( brooms, mops etc.) You should also about every 2 months have the nails replaced. Be careful about getting anything under the nails you really don't want fungus growing. Good luck.
They are pretty easy to care for. You can oil them if you want, but I never did. If you do want to oil them, go to a beauty supply store that is open to the public and get an oil that is compatible with acrylic nails.





Lift is when your acrylic nail lifts up and away from your real nail. This will not happen if you get your nails filled often.





I was on a 2 week schedule. My nails grew fairly fast and started to look pretty shabby and ragged after about 2 weeks.





As to when you should go, I would ask the nail tech who did your nails. What did she suggest to you when you had your nails done? If she didn't say, I would just keep an eye on my nails and if they start to look a bit beat up, then go. Usually about the 2 week mark.





You can change the polish at home, but make sure you use remover specially made for acrylic nails. If you use a remover with acetone, you will damage the acrylic and could cause problems that might require you to have the acrylic taken off and put back on.





You should not have any problems with fungus or mildew if you keep your nails maintained on a regular basis. If you let your nails go too long between maintenance, they can get very small lifts or cracks in them and water will seep in between the acrylic and your real nail and start to grow beasties. So don't wait too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment