Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Do acrylic nails prevent your real nails underneath from growing?

I have acrylic nails, and I'm hoping that this will help me stop my nail biting habit. Will my nails grow while I have the acrylics on top?Do acrylic nails prevent your real nails underneath from growing?
No they will continue to grow. My grandma has always got her nails done and she just had brain surgery. After she got out a month had past...so she just had them removed since she couldn't get them done as often and her nails are long and gorgeous. A little more weak than regular, but it's great.Do acrylic nails prevent your real nails underneath from growing?
They will grow but may be really soft and break anyway.
they'll keep growing, however the nail salon grinds to replace the acrylic where it has grown out. This leaves the nail very soft and damaged. Coming from a fellow nail biter.... i bit on my acrylics and ruined them. It was a waste of my money and had to wait for my nails to grow back. If you want to kick a bad habit buy some yucky nail polish and keep your nails filed and looking good. The better they look, the less you'll mess with them.
They won't prevent your nails from growing, but consider it carefully before proceeding, since you will be going back every 2-3 weeks for a fill. If you decide to have them removed, best to soak them in acetone until they dissolve off (DO NOT PRY!). It'll take a bit for the natural nails to develop stronger afterwards, but they will recover. I had acrylics done, and I am hooked, so I may be a bit biased.
Acrylic overlay does not stop your natural nails from growing; however, it will cause them to become weak (or weaker if they are already weak).
yes, it does prevent them from growing, because just like everything else, nails need oxygen to grow. and smothering them in acrylic does NOT provide any oxygen. i tried this because i am a recovered compulsive nail biter as well. i've tried the gross tasting nail polish, acrylic nails, glue on and stick on nails, and even painting my nails with wax. nothing seems to work other than GUM. gum gum gum. just keep your mouth [and hands] busy so when you get bored, you don't resolute yourself to biting. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment